Galaxy Counseling Center was founded in 1975 by the Soroptimist International of Garland. Since that time, we have served over 50,000 families and individuals.
Highlights of the organization’s history include:
- In 1975, Galaxy Counseling Center was established, making it the first free, nonprofit counseling agency in the Garland area.
- In 1975-76, A student training program in partnership with local universities was implemented to increase the amount of available services without increasing costs.
- In 1977, Galaxy began a program for younger children, including play therapy.
- In 1979, Galaxy became a United Way affiliate.
- In 1984, bilingual services (Spanish) were offered for the first time.
- In 1999, the agency became part of a full-time Pre-Doctoral Internship Consortium. Galaxy also instituted an agency-wide outcome evaluation project to track client progress.
- In 2001, Galaxy pioneered the original Elementary School Truancy Intervention program in North Texas, serving school-age children and their parents in the Garland Independent School District.
- In 2005, Galaxy is recognized for outstanding service by the United Way of Metropolitan Dallas.
- In 2008, Galaxy therapists created Stand Up and Speak Out, an outreach program for adolescent girls covering the topics of self-esteem, personal safety, and sexual abuse/assault.
- In May 2011 Galaxy was awarded the 2010-2011 Pam Blumenthal Award for Community Service, awarded by the Dallas Psychological Association.
- In September 2012, Galaxy opened its first satellite office located in Plano to better serve the Collin County area.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-38978134-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);